[Gmsh] parsed post-processing file: interpolation between points

Christophe Geuzaine c.geuzaine at ulg.ac.be
Wed Feb 2 18:34:25 CET 2005

Fabian Dortu wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I try to generate my own gmsh parsed post-processing file from a list of
> x,y coordinates and their associate (scalar) values.
> The generated file looks like
>
> View "myQuantityName" {
> SP(0.07,-0.06,0){0.0042};
> SP(0.0674112,-0.06,0){0.00404467};
> SP(0.0685773,-0.06,0){0.00411464};
>
> etc....
>
> When I load it in gmsh (v1.58), I only get colored points. Of course I
> would like my values to beinterpolated in the space between the points.
> What should I do to achieve this?

You have to generate a file that contains 2D (surface) elements (i.e.,
triangles or quadrangles).

If you don't have the topological information to create triangles or
quadrangles, and if all your points belong to a surface that can be
projected 1-to-1 into a plane, you can use the "Triangulate" plugin to
tessellate your data set.

Christophe

--
Christophe Geuzaine
Applied and Computational Mathematics, Caltech