[gl2ps] Textures?

Christophe Geuzaine christophe.geuzaine at case.edu
Mon Feb 20 17:23:32 CET 2006

Andreas Micheler wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I'm using your great GL2PS library in my freeware Logo interpreter
> aUCBLogo to save OpenGL images to vector formats. It works fine so far,
> but there's no support for textures. Is it possible for you to add this
> feature to GL2PS? Will it be added sometime in the future?

Adding textures support would be nice, but it's tricky. If I remember
correctly, texture information is not stored in the feedback buffer, so
we would have to duplicate a whole lot of stuff in GL2PS even to get the
most basic kind of texture support. (I don't even know if there is any
way to get e.g. lighting info for textures.)

A more reasonable approach in the short term is probably to create mixed
vector/bitmap output, by using vector primitives for the lines, points,
text, etc., and using a bitmap for the rest. VTK uses this approach
quite successfully: see

http://public.kitware.com/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/Rendering/vtkGL2PSExporter.cxx?rev=1.13&view=auto

for more info.

Take care,