[gl2ps] PDF not same as rendered image

David Thompson dthompsn at vizsolutions.com
Wed Sep 15 22:00:28 CEST 2004

Okay, sorry I haven't gotten back on this sooner--but I was trying to
meet a deadline. I've now located at least a major issue as to why
this was happening. What I had, for each ball located in the scene,
there were actually anywhere from 4 - 20 coinciding balls the exact
same size. So what was happening was that the triangle from one ball
may have been at the front whereas in other areas other triangles
were in front. In our software, our software renderer looks at the
data structures and determines which one should always be in front
based on a data value. When this data is passed to OpenGL, then the
ViewMatrix is assessed and a half-pixel width is added to each object
moving them toward the viewport keeping one in front of the other.
However, with so many objects in the same space, this became almost
unmanageable. OpenGL hardware still rendered it correctly but gl2ps
didn't get the sorting correct with such small differences. Once I
removed the coinciding balls, everything worked as expected.

David