[Getdp] ... RadiativeHeatTransfer Wiki ...

Matt Koch mattkoch at scitex.us
Thu Oct 1 16:02:19 CEST 2009

Hello Bernhard,

thanks for your comments. I much appreciate them. See my replies below.

Best Regards,

Matt

Kubicek Bernhard wrote:
> As i did quite some things with radiation modelling, I have some remarks, that you might or might not find interessting:

> 1) It should be very easy to use P1 radiation model in getdp. Basically its just a heat-conduction equation with source terms prop T^4, adiabatic walls are flux zero, absorbing walls are value zero. I really think that P1 could give nice results in your case.

When it comes to finite element analysis, I must admit, I do not know
the first thing about its basics. I have learned GetDP entirely from the
examples and the documentation and from comparing it with FreeFEM, and
in most cases I still hope to "cheat" my way through. So, when you
mention "P1 radiation model in GetDP", I am lost right off the bat. Do
you have an explanation or an example of what you mean?

> 2) We did once a comparison of the heat transfer between opposed faces, where we, for each face, averaged Temperature and then used this Temperature for the radiation exchange using manually calculated view factors. This fails dramatically, if the temperature is un-evenly distributed over the surfaces. Of course, it would be better to average the T^4 for that.
> However, a full surface to surface (S2S) calculation was more physical in our cases:
> * W. Hribernik, G. Brauner, C. Faltin, B. Kubicek, F. Musai, A simulation-based methodology for high-current heat-run testing of distribution system components, 20 International Conference on Electricity Distribution, CIRED, Prage June 2009.
> * B. Kubicek, W. Hribernik, G. Brauner, C. Faltin, F. Musai, B. Semlitsch and M. Popovac, CFD analysis of the turbulent flow field and thermal behavior of high-current electric switchgear, 6th International Symposium on Turbulence, Heat and Mass Transfer, THMT Rome, 2009

Yes, this much I know. Radiative heat transfer is a matter of
temperature AND geometry, and both must be in the integral. If you try
to "cheat" your way out of that in the manner you describe, you are
definitely on your own. And it may also not so much be a matter of
averaging T or T^4, as far as I know, because depending on the geometry,
the larger effect can be due to the configuration kernel or factor.

> 3) Maybe I misread your pro file, but it seems you also use this t^4 average. However, i think you to neglect the environmental temperature that is visible under a configuration factor (1-CfgKnl[]).

I am not sure what you are referring to? Could you perhaps point me to
the line? What I am trying to accomplish is Int(f,T^4), not
Ave(T^4)*Int(f), f being the configuration kernel. As far as radiation
to/from ambient is concerned, you are correct, I have neglected that
completely. My intent was to demonstrate the radiative heat transfer
interaction between two surfaces, not so much produce a completely
physical model. For example, the edge of the sink is also not being
considered (instead I am just cooling it with water here), and once you
start doing this, shadows need to be included. All that would make the
files even more complicated and would detract from the fundamental
demonstration.

> 4) We are currently working on an spectral ray/pathtracing radiation model that is coupled with computational fluid dynamics.

I presume this is outside of GetDP/GMsh? I thought you were in
electrical power transfer research? Why are you working in CFD &
Radiative Heat Transfer? Is this to model the components used in
electrical power transfer? Are you a ME or an EE? Either way, you seem
to have a tremendous grasp of the subject, and I am glad you are on the
GetDP mailing list. Bouncing things off with folks in the know is
priceless, especially when you are as clueless about finite elements as
I am!

mattkoch at scitex.us
(830)-249-9499 (o)
(830)-446-1839 (c)