[Gmsh] Setting random seed in geo file

Serban Georgescu Serban.Georgescu at uk.fujitsu.com
Fri Dec 5 13:39:40 CET 2014

Hi,

Actually I had the same problem and in the last few days I put some time into finding the reason why this happens.
The random seeds are actually hard-coded, the reason for the lack of reproducibility comes from a few STL containers that store pointers and were left with the default ordering - which means that the order will be dependent on the pointer addresses - hence the lack of reproducibility.

Here are the modifications that you need to make in order to have full reproducibility:
Note that these are made with respect to the source code of Gmsh 2.8.5.

Mesh/meshGFace.cpp --> added ordering to the set

1080c1080
<   std::set<MVertex*, MVertexLessThanLexicographic> all_vertices, boundary;
---
>   std::set<MVertex*> all_vertices, boundary;

1155c1155
<     for(std::set<MVertex*, MVertexLessThanLexicographic>::iterator it = all_vertices.begin();
---
>     for(std::set<MVertex*>::iterator it = all_vertices.begin();

1173c1173
<   for(std::set<MVertex*, MVertexLessThanLexicographic>::iterator it = all_vertices.begin();
---
>   for(std::set<MVertex*>::iterator it = all_vertices.begin();

----------------
Mesh/meshGFaceBDS.cpp --> defined what happens when we have two identical values in the sort

482,489d481
< bool edges_sort (std::pair<double, BDS_Edge*> a , std::pair<double, BDS_Edge*> b)
< {
<             if (a.first == b.first)
<                             return ((*a.second) < (*b.second));
<             else
<                             return (a.first < b.first);
< }
<
505c497
<   std::sort(edges.begin(), edges.end(), edges_sort);
---
>   std::sort(edges.begin(), edges.end());
558c550
<   std::sort(edges.begin(), edges.end(), edges_sort);
---
>   std::sort(edges.begin(), edges.end());

----------------
Mesh/meshGRegion.cpp --> added ordering to the set
1417c1417
< static void getAllBoundingVertices(GRegion *gr, std::set<MVertex*, MVertexLessThanLexicographic> &allBoundingVertices)
---
> static void getAllBoundingVertices(GRegion *gr, std::set<MVertex*> &allBoundingVertices)
1440c1440
<   std::set<MVertex*, MVertexLessThanLexicographic> allBoundingVertices;
---
>   std::set<MVertex*> allBoundingVertices;
1443c1443
<   std::set<MVertex*, MVertexLessThanLexicographic>::iterator itv = allBoundingVertices.begin();
---
>   std::set<MVertex*>::iterator itv = allBoundingVertices.begin();
1673,1680d1672
< struct GFaceOrderedByTag
< {
<             bool operator() (const GFace* first, const GFace* second) const
<             {
<                             return (first->tag() < second->tag());
<             }
< };
<
1713c1705
<     std::set<GFace*, GFaceOrderedByTag> mySet;
---
>     std::set<GFace*> mySet;

That's about it.
It would be nice if these modifications could be added to the SVN version.

Cheers,
Serban