[Gmsh] HELP File Format for Polyhedra

Alessandro Palmas alessandropalmas.mail at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 19:32:10 CEST 2014

Hi,

I am a CFD developer and I am interested in using Gmsh and in particular
the mesh file format ".msh".

I was reading the guide (
http://geuz.org/gmsh/doc/texinfo/gmsh.html#File-formats) where the file
formats (ASCII and Binary) are described. I am interested in the polyhedra
element type, I am not sure if msh can handle such a geometrical shape
(like hexa with refinement, hanging nodes, etc for example) since all
elements_types codes/tags appear to be listed and no polyhedra is reported.

But then polyhedra is recalled later in the physical quantities sections
talking about interpolation.

So my question: can the .msh file handle meshes with polyhedra elements? If
so, which elem_type should be used in the geometrical part (right after
nodes coordinates). And also, is an example available?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Blues skies,

Alessandro Palmas