[Gmsh] Gmsh High Order Element Problem

Kamil ÖZDEN kamil.ozden.me at gmail.com
Sat Sep 20 17:52:32 CEST 2014

Dear All,

I mesh a circular pipe in Gmsh very coarsely as below.

But when I set the order of the element as 2 in Gmsh and convert it into
.xml and then .vtu file to visualize the spectral mesh in Paraview via
Nektar, I got error messages like the following:

*/Warning: Level 0 assertion violation/**/
/**/3D deformed Jacobian not positive (element ID = 715) (first vertex
ID = 388)/*/

/and got the following distorted mesh in Paraview:

I recognized that this is a problem about characteristic length
parameter. In my .geo files, I set it as 1. However, I didn't understand
ito which value do I have to increase or decrease this parameter. I read
the manual of gmsh but couldn't clearly understand the relation between
characteristic length and mesh. Can you please give a brief information
about this?

Regards,
Kamil