[Gmsh] Mac installation nightmare

Yun Tao yuntao at ucdavis.edu
Wed Feb 15 02:07:22 CET 2012

Hi fellow gmsh users,

I've recently tried to install Gmsh in conjunction with Fipy (python-based
pde solver). However, I've been having trouble getting the Gmsh-based Fipy
codes to work and, after much toying about with bash profile and so forth,
I seemed to have made the problem worse. Installation wise, I've tried two

1. Through the Mac OS X binary
2. Following the steps in https://geuz.org/trac/gmsh/wiki/InstallingGmshDg

For the latter, I initially had incomplete GMSH paths and error messages
upon configuration. After subsequent tweaking, now when I 'ccmake ..' (step
7), all I get is an empty cache.

When reinstalled with .dmg, this is what I get when running the python
script containing gmsh import (attached):

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "circle.py", line 209, in <module>
  File "<string>", line 35, in <module>
line 2214, in __init__
    Gmsh2D.__init__(self, arg, coordDimensions=coordDimensions)
line 1509, in __init__
line 142, in openMSHFile
    raise EnvironmentError("Gmsh version must be >= 2.0.")
EnvironmentError: Gmsh version must be >= 2.0.

This is strange since my Gmsh version is certainly 2.5.0.

A few other oddities occurred over the course of my learning curve. For
instance, when I call 'gmsh t1.geo' at the terminal from the /Volume
directory, only a blank "untitled.geo" window shows up. Only if I
double-click on the file via Finder will the proper display be shown.

Many preemptive thanks for all the help!

Yun Tao

Graduate Group of Ecology Doctoral Candidate
Department of Environmental Science and Policy
Center for Population Biology
University of California, Davis