[Gmsh] further explanation to deformed mesh visualization

Christophe Geuzaine christophe.geuzaine at case.edu
Tue Oct 11 16:25:49 CEST 2005

José M. Sancho wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am using Gmsh to postprocess 3D tetrahedral meshes. I am not able
> to obtain deformed   meshes imposing displacement vectorial views
> (Section 9.2) over meshes in Gmsh Mesh file format (Section 9.1).
>
> However I can do it using two postprocessing views.  (Two views in
> format Section 9.2) In this case only the tetrahedral line edges are
> visible and the solid rendering of the mesh with lighting properties
> is not posible.

You cannot deform the actual mesh--only the post-processing views. But
you can achieve the same "solid" rendering in various ways:

The most efficient way is to only draw the boundary of the
post-processing view (use Plugin(Skin) to extract that), with "Element
Edges" turned on in Options->View->Visibility. You could also generate
your post-processing views with both tetrahedra and triangles, and only
draw the triangles (uncheck "Tetrahedra" in Options->View->Visibility).

Another way is to draw the data on the boundary of the post-processing
elements by selecting "Boundary = Dimension - 1" in
Options->View->Visibility. It's not as efficient (since internal faces
are also drawn), but it can be very useful if you want to clip/cut the
view, or use transparency.

Christophe