[Gmsh] how to cut a 3D mesh?

Christophe Geuzaine christophe.geuzaine at case.edu
Tue Oct 11 16:22:34 CEST 2005

Cécile DAGES wrote:
> Hi !
>
> I would like to know if it is possible to truncate a 3D mesh  of a cube
> for example by a plane and to save the result as a new 3Dmesh (tetraedric).

Gmsh can only cut or clip the mesh for display---not save the modified mesh.

PS: When you say "truncate a 3D mesh", do you mean "keep the tetrahedra"
that are entirely on one side of a plane"? Or do you mean "keep the
tetrahedra entirely on one side of a plane AND re-triangulate
the intersecting tetrahedra"?

The former would be very easy to add: it's just a matter of saving a
reduced number of elements. The latter is more complicated, but already
available in Gmsh in the post-processing plugins (Plugin(CutPlane),
Plugin(CutSphere), Plugin(CutMap), with ExtractVolume set to -1 or +1).
However these plugins create post-processing views (not meshes), so you
would have to extract the mesh from the post-processing views.

Christophe

--
Christophe Geuzaine
Assistant Professor, Case University, Mathematics