[Gmsh] Simple console question

Christophe Geuzaine christophe.geuzaine at case.edu
Mon Sep 26 17:43:41 CEST 2005

Joseph D Brunett wrote:
> I am currently using the precompiled gmsh.exe version 1.60.1 on a Windows XP
> SP2 machine.  In the interactive and non-interactive modes the software
> works very well (very nice!).
>
> However, I am unable to get any output at the command prompt from the
> executable.  For example "gmsh -help" does not return any of the help
> information and Options->General->Output->"Print messages on terminal" does
> not result in output at an XP command prompt during execution.

I think it's due to the fact that we compile Gmsh as a "GUI Mode
Application" on Windows (so that we don't have the console window
showing up every time we launch Gmsh). As stupid as it sounds, Windows
then seems to prevent *any* output to the console, even if the
application is launched from the commands line.

One solution is to use a more capable shell. I'm using the "bash" shell
that comes with cygwin (www.cygwin.com).

Another solution is to recompile Gmsh from the sources and remove the
-mwindows and --subsystem,windows from the link line. But this has the
annoying side effect that you always have a console showing up when you
run the application.

Christophe