[Gmsh] discrete-continuum mesh

Kovacs, Attila Attila_Kovacs at golder.hu
Thu Jun 23 14:53:37 CEST 2005

Dear Authors,

First of all I have to congratulate for your mesh generator. It is an excellent tool, and I appreciete using it.
I also have a question to you. I intend to test the difference between the groundwater flow regimes of a pure discrete network model and a combined discrete-continuum model.
For the latter purpose I need a mesh generation approach which can combine 2d and 3d elements in a manner that the nodes and edges of neighbouring elements of different dimensions are geometrically identical.
In other words I need to fill in the space with tetrahedrons among the 2d element sheets representing fractures of varying direction.
I tried to merge a pre-generated discrete finite element network into a geometric volume in GMSh, and lounched a 3d mesh generation, but the sides of the 3d elements doesn't seem to fit the edges of the 2d elements along fracture plains.
Do you have a method for solving this problem?

Thanks and best regards:
Attila Kovacs

Attila Kovacs, Ph.D.
Golder Associates (Magyarország) Kft.
1021 Budapest
Huvösvölgyi út 54.
Tel.: +36 (1) 394 0005
Fax.: +36 (1) 394 0002
Mobil: +36 (20) 357 6809
E-mail: Attila_Kovacs at golder.hu

This e-mail transmission is confidential and may contain proprietary information for the express use of the intended recipient. Any use, distribution or copying of this transmission, other than by the intended recipient, is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender and delete all copies. Electronic media is susceptible to unauthorized modification, deterioration, and incompatibility. Accordingly, the electronic media version of any work product may not be relied upon.