[Gmsh] 3D meshing

Christophe Geuzaine geuzaine at acm.caltech.edu
Wed Mar 2 09:42:09 CET 2005

Gagliardini wrote:
> Dear all,
>

> I have to mesh a geophysical object defined by its upper and lower
> surfaces (a z=f(x,y) function that can be set on a regular grid). The 4
> vertical faces are plane surfaces (a kind of shoes box with not flat
> upper and lower surfaces).
>
> I have read in the gmsh mailing list that only 5 or 6 faces volume can
> be meshed using gmsh. Is this still true ?

Only if you want to use the Transfinite (structured) algorithm. The
other algorithms can mesh arbitrary volumes.

> If gmsh is not able to mesh volume with more than 6 faces, do you know
> an other mesher that can do that ?
>

> I have tried a small script to mesh my shoes box (attached). All the
> surfaces are meshed but no volume element are created.
>

> What I'm doing wrong ?

The "side" surfaces are not defined correctly (there are overlapping
lines, and the volume is not closed). I've attached a small example
derived from your geometry to show you how it can be done.

Take care,

Christophe

--
Christophe Geuzaine
Applied and Computational Mathematics, Caltech