[Gmsh] Re: gmsh

Christophe Geuzaine Christophe.Geuzaine at ulg.ac.be
Sun Apr 22 20:19:30 CEST 2001

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: gmsh
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 15:59:57 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Jean-Francois Remacle <remacle at scorec.rpi.edu>"
<remacle at scorec.rpi.edu>
To: GLORIA PATRICIA CORREA LONDONO <gcorreal at cronos.eafit.edu.co>
CC: christophe geuzaine <christophe.geuzaine at ulg.ac.be>

> Respected SR.

Call me Jean-Francois,

> greetings,
>

> This e-mail is to ask you about the libreries that you used to create
> this program. For example, what kind of libreries did you use? why did
> you use these and not others?

Gmsh is a completely proprietary program that does not use other
libraries
than the ones you can get freely on any computer, PC with windows, PC
with
linux or unix workstation (perhaps macintosh...).

We use straight OpenGL for graphic primitives. OpenGL is intsalled by
default on most of the computer platforms, it is now THE graphical
standard. If you want more information about OpenGL, go to the official
web site of OpenGL which is http://www.opengl.org/

For the Graphical User Interface (GUI) i.e. bells and whisltles of the
program : buttons, dialog boxes, menus, bars..., we have switched not
long
ago from Motif (which is a pure unix X related toolkit) to fltk. Fltk
is a very nice and compact GUI that is available on any plateform,
even windows. The official web site is www.fltk.org, they provide the
source code, examples and makefiles for most plateforms, help yourself
then.

For the rest, Gmsh is a C-C++ program. All algorithms for visualisation,
mesh generation, CAD are "ours" and may be available if your intention
is
to develop gmsh with us.

Thanks for being interrested in our stuff,

Jean-Francois.