GMSH use

Christophe Geuzaine Christophe.Geuzaine at ulg.ac.be
Mon Apr 2 14:40:54 CEST 2001

alusso at odu.edu wrote:

> hi, my name is alan lusso, i'm a research engineer for a modelling &
> simulation company called VASC in norfolk.  we do research work, mostly for
> the US government.
>
> i'd like to clarify if GMSH is suitable for what i need to do  -  which is
> generate a terrain surface from sample points
>
> i need to convert a set of points (from a DNC, Digital Nautical Chart)
> representing depth soundings in ports/oceans etc  and from these points a
> triangular mesh of the "sub-terrain" has to be generated.  if i understand
> correctly this will only involve the simple task of connecting the dots in
> 2D via delaunay triangulation  (discarding the depth data for each value),
> then once the triangulation is complete the depth data is put back onto the
> values.
>
> ideally i'd prefer to use a dll or other library that i can include in my
> source code, otherwise getting hold of the source code would be good.  let
> me know if GMSH can do what i need and if not, maybe you could suggest
> something else.
> thanks heaps
> alan

Hi,

No, Gmsh is not well suited for this kind of job (Gmsh generates optimal
sets of points from the mathematical description of curves, surfaces or
volumes, and then meshes these sets of points). I think you should
rather take a look at a simple triangulation library, e.g.
http://www.dlc.fi/~dkpa/.

My best,

--
Christophe Geuzaine