[gl2ps] [patch] Enable use without an OpenGL context

David Lonie david.lonie at kitware.com
Mon Jan 25 16:12:34 CET 2016

Hi Andy,

On Sat, Jan 23, 2016 at 3:41 AM, Andreas Weber <octave at tech-chat.de> wrote:

> Am 12.01.2016 um 22:08 schrieb David Lonie:
> > I maintain the GL2PS export implementation in VTK, and we recently
> > revamped our rendering engine to use newer OpenGL APIs, and the
> > versions we're targeting have deprecated the OpenGL feedback buffer.
>
> I'm very unexperienced with OpenGL internals so this might be a silly
> question. If I read the topic, does this mean that it is now possible to
> use gl2ps without OpenGL context, for example on a headless server
> without X running? In my words something like "offscreen rendering"?

The recent change allows gl2ps to process geometry that is provided
explicitly via function calls to the gl2ps library, rather than only
fetching it from OpenGL.

If you're looking to use gl2ps/OpenGL from a headless server with no X
server, this should already be possible using OSMesa[1], which provides an
offscreen, software-based OpenGL implementation.

[1] http://www.mesa3d.org/osmesa.html

Hope this helps,
Dave