[gl2ps] SVG / bitmaps

barrand barrand at lal.in2p3.fr
Wed May 2 12:08:51 CEST 2007

On May 1, 2007, at 5:06 PM, Christophe Geuzaine wrote:

   Hello Christophe

> barrand wrote:
>>     Hello
>>    Else, I have tried the SVG file production by using the 1.3.2
>> version.
>>   But I have only partial output of my things. I clearly miss all
>> things
>>   related to bitmaps.  (Then, for me, the visualization of TTF fonts
>>   and the polymarkers).
>>    Then the question, are the bitmaps  handled with SVG ?
>
> Hi Guy - to handle bitmaps with SVG your app needs to be linked with
> libpng, and you need to compile gl2ps.c with "GL2PS_HAVE_LIBPNG"
> defined
> (this gets defined automatically in certain cases: look at gl2ps.h).
>
> GL2PS then automatically embeds little base64-encoded PNG versions of
> your bitmaps in the SVG file.

   Ok. Then I have build with GL2PS_HAVE_LIBPNG and arrange my things
  to link with libpng. Fine. Now I can produce .svg files and the
bitmaps are
  now ok. Progress.

   But incidently, by playing with the SVG on 3D scenes, I see that
for solids
  rendered with lightening and PHONG, I see the "wires/edges" of the
polygons.
  (It is similar to what we get when viewing the .ps with ghostview
but by
  having the state/antialias menu item).
   Do I have to set some option in order to correct that ?
   Or is it related to the viewer program ? I use Firefox 1.5.0.11.

   I have put an example under :
      http://openscientist.lal.in2p3.fr/download/tmpup
  There is three files : onx.svg, onx.ps, onx.pdf.
  (Incidently the onx.pdf shows no primitives by doing "open onx.pdf"
  on my Mac...). The onx.ps is ok with ghostview, but the onx.svg
  shows polygon edges by viewing with Firefox.

     Cheers

       Guy