[Getdp] Second order element peculiarity

Jim Davis jd4 at prism.gatech.edu
Fri Aug 25 13:50:30 CEST 2006

David,

Thanks very much for your reply.  That did indeed fix my problem, although I must admit
that I do not understand the nature of the hierarchical basis functions.  I have a freshly
printed copy of Christophe's dissertation from which I hope to learn more.

Thanks again,

Jim

David Colignon wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the condition on the coefficients associated to the second order basis
> functions must be homegeneous ( 0 value ) otherwise the imposed
> condition considers a boundary condition other than constant ( with
> second degree variation ). This is due to the fact that the second order
> elements are built with hierarchical basis functions.
>
> So with
> { Name ElectricScalarPotential_d2 ; Type Assign ;
>    Case {
>      { Region Ground; Value 0. ; }
>      { Region electrode ; Value 0. ; }
>    }
>  }
>
> in con_cyl.pro it works very well
>
> Cheers,
>
> Dave

Jim Davis                              Telephone: (404) 894-7231
Signature Technology Laboratory              Fax: (404) 894-8515
Georgia Tech Research Institute            email: jd4 at prism.gatech.edu
Georgia Institute of Technology
Atlanta, GA  30332-0800