[Getdp] Coupling with other codes || PETSc

Kubicek Bernhard Bernhard.Kubicek at arsenal.ac.at
Fri Apr 28 11:14:10 CEST 2006

Hello!
First of all, I would like to thank you for getDP, which seems to be a
really nice tool, and especially for providing it as free software. This
is simply great!
A colleague of mine and me are working on a project wherein we want to
simulate a multiphysics problem involving numerical electromagnetism and
CFD. As far as I have concluded from the mailing list, getDP has no
Navier-Stokes solver yet, and therefore we want to couple getDP with an
external CFD code (FLUENT, in our case, which sadly seems not to have a
electromagnetic solver apart from the unaffordable ANSYS-MPCCI
combination).
As we have a transient problem, this would mean to first calculate a
time step with the CFD code, and then pass some relevant data to getDP,
which after doing its time step returns some data for the next CFD time
step.
We are not 100% sure if we can calculate something useful this way, but
for small step sizes we hope to be lucky.

However my first question concerns the passing of a scalar field to
getdp, i.E. a known temperature field.
This field needs to be used to calculate the conductivity for each
volume element. InterpolationLinear seems to not suitable for functions
with 3 parameters.
Is there some way of defining a field using a linear array and the
number of the momentary volume element?
Maybe something similar to this fantasy-code:
TemperatureField={0,0,0.1,0.2, .... } // for all finite volumes
T[]=Temperature[$NrMomentaryVolume]

The second question is about the state of the PETSc implementation. In
an not so long ago post you state that PETSc is working, but only on a
single cpu. As a parallel solver could be very useful to us, it would be
great to have an rough idea in how many months this might be ready for,
well, lets call it "field"-testing.

Apart from this questions, I have an half finished informal introduction
to the weak form, which only consists of a few pages in latex, written
for those who hesitate to read Bossavit. If you are interested in this,
and want to read/comment it before maybe spreading it to other people, I
could finish writing it up within the next two weeks. Although, I have
to admit it might not reach your mathematical standards.

Thank you very much,
and greetings from cloudy Vienna,
Bernhard Kubicek

freelancer for arsenal vienna, ARC /PhD student Vienna University of
Technology