[Getdp-announce] New GetDP release: 1.0

Christophe Geuzaine geuzaine at acm.caltech.edu
Sat Apr 24 23:12:14 CEST 2004

Hi folks - We are very pleased to announce the release of GetDP 1.0--the
first public release of GetDP in more than a year, and, more
importantly, the first release of GetDP under the GNU General Public
License.

Most of the changes since the last release are related to the removal of
non-free parts of the code and to the merging of new developments from
Ruth Sabariego and Johan Gyselinck (most of which are not yet documented).

Version 1.0 also marks the end of major new developments in the C
codebase by Patrick and myself, as we are convinced that a rewrite in
C++ will lead to a substantially shorter (and easier to understand)
code. This is a long term goal, though, so the current version will
continue to evolve for quite a while (albeit at a slower pace) and all
code contributions/bug fixes/etc. are of course still very much welcome!

Enjoy!

PS: We would like to start a repository of user examples for GetDP.
Since this is a time-consuming process and neither Patrick nor I
have the time to build it from scratch, we need your help. If you have
*complete*, *working* and *documented* examples that you want to share
with the community, please send them to us, together with the conditions
you place on their use and redistribution. We will centralize all the
contributions and make them available on the web site.

--
Christophe Geuzaine
Applied and Computational Mathematics, Caltech